VP of Engineering
- San Francisco, CA
VP of Engineering
Our vision is to build the next generation platform to enable easy and fast creation of audio and
video content powered by cutting-edge AI. Building a revolutionary way to record, transcribe,
edit and mix spoken audio and video comes with a series of unique challenges and requires
solving hard and complex problems.
As the head of the engineering team, you'll play an integral role in:
- Oversee the engineering department's daily operations.
- Oversee software design and programming activities, support research projects, and work closely with Research and Software Engineers.
- Plan, direct, and coordinate software applications and systems design, development and implementation, and ensure efficiency in the entire development process.
- Internally and externally Staff and oversee the execution of key engineering initiatives in establishing rigorous QA practice incorporating advanced software quality testing & documentation software.
- Provide product visions that align with company ideals and manage end to end technology execution performed by the team of engineers and researchers.
- Conduct and obtain cost analysis for development projects, ensure projects are executed within budget and timeframe.
- Communicate clearly and efficiently with managerial personnel as well as the rest of the team regarding the statuses and results of current projects.
- Identify, recommend, and implement new technologies and systems to improve corporate processes and decision-making.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years related experience required
- Required Experience, Skills and knowledge
- Technologies such as Spark, Kafka, Postgres, Hive, Jenkins, and Presto, etc.
- Tools such as Git, Graphana, Honeycomb, Pagerduty, and Terraform, etc.
- Testing: JUnit testing Robotium & Roboelectric etc.
The base salary range for this role is $255,000- $295,000/year. Final offer amounts will carefully consider multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise, location, and may vary from the amount above.
Descript is building a simple, intuitive, fully-powered editing tool for video and audio — an editing tool built for the age of AI. We are a team of 100 — with a proven CEO and the backing of some of the world's greatest investors (OpenAI, Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint Ventures, Spark Capital). Descript HQ is in San Francisco, and our AI research team, Lyrebird, is based in Montreal.
Descript is the special company that's in possession of both product market fit and the raw materials (passionate user community, great product, large market) for growth, but is still early enough that each new employee has a measurable influence on the direction of the company.
Benefits include a generous healthcare package, catered lunches, and flexible vacation time. We currently have offices in San Francisco and Montreal, and are open to folks working remotely between PT and ET time zones. Whether you love WFH or can’t wait to get back to being in person, we're interested in offering an environment that works for you.
Descript is an equal opportunity workplace—we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We believe in actively building a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions to better allow our employees, products, and community to thrive.